Avenue Georges Pompidou Parking du lavoir 15110 Chaudes-Aigues
Covered washhouse fed by the Lestende spring (62°), comprising 2 successive trays allowing a progressive cooling of the water.
For a long time women went to wash their laundry in this part of the Remontalou where gaseous sources and clearances “warmed up” the water from the river.
At the end of the nineteenth century, a first washing house was built but it was necessary to wait 1929 for the Amicale Parisienne des Enfants du Canton de Chaudes-Aigues to finance a covered washhouse fed by the Lestende spring (62°), comprising 2 successive trays allowing a progressive cooling of the water.
Renovated in 1999, hot water washhouse remains a curiosity reminding that water was used in wool treatment. “The inhabitants of Chaudes-Aigues (…) are industrious, they make the most of their waters, wash the wool before spinning it into mineral water… Without knowing its composition, the men guessed its alkaline nature and used it very fortunately.» Berthier, 1810
- Altitude : 750 m
- Historic patrimony
- Wash house
Languages of the visit
Information panel languages
- Duration individual visit: 20 hours (average)
- Duration of visit:20 hours (average)
- Unguided group tours available permanently
- Guided group tours on request
- Public WC
- Tour free of charge
- Guided tours
- Educational visits
- Pets welcome
All year round, daily.