CHAUDES-AIGUES, A SPA RESORT
Come and visit Chaudes-Aigues, a beautiful spa resort, making it a unique attraction in Cantal and a popular destination for all the family. The town is located between the Monts du Cantal mountain range and the Aubrac plateau, close to the Gorges of the River Truyère and a few kilometres away from the town of Saint-Flour. The traditional houses here are made from local stone and you can admire their magnificent stone roofs. The town can be comfortably visited on foot and is in an exceptionally beautiful natural setting.
HOT SPRING WATER AT 82°C
There are no fewer than 32 hot springs across the town, including the Par spring where the hottest water in Europe rises to the surface at a temperature of 82°C. The site is a real curiosity and not to be missed. The mineral-rich hot spring water offers relaxing and pain-soothing properties and can be enjoyed at the Caleden Spa Centre. Specialist treatments and spa breaks are available for patients suffering from rheumatism. In addition, Caleden is open to visitors and offers “Spa and Wellness” breaks, an array of treatments, spa days and weekend packages. Families are welcome to enjoy bathing in the spa leisure area accessible to children from the age of 9 months.
Not to be missed while visiting Chaudes-Aigues
- The Par spring, where the hottest water in Europe rises to the surface at a temperature of 82°C.
- The communal lavoir (wash-house) with naturally hot water from the Lestande spring at a temperature of 62°C.
- Geothermia: the museum of hot spring water and geothermal energy.
- The small chapels that represent the patron saints that guard over different parts of the town.
- The Chapelle des Pénitents, a beautiful chapel and its remarkable altarpiece (open for exhibitions in the Summer).
Festivities and events
Water, relaxation and wellness facilities are emblematic of Chaudes-Aigues. The town also offers a wealth of exciting and varied events and festivities for everyone to enjoy:
- The “Grande Foire”, a country fair and agricultural show on 8 May.
- The “Rand’Aubrac – Le Grand Parcours” at the beginning of June offering participants a choice of four walks of different distances with refreshments and entertainment along the way.
- The “Festival des Chorales” in August (every two years) with performances by choir groups.
Other things to enjoy
- Cook an egg in 15 minutes in the Par hot spring. Unique!
- Visit Saint – Martin Saint-Blaise church built above the hot spring… if you are here in the winter, it is also a lovely place to warm up before continuing your visit.
- Discover local produce and specialities: cheese, charcuterie, honey, fruit and vegetables at the local market every Monday morning. There is also a local farmers’ market every Wednesday as from 5pm from mid-June to mid-September.
- Relax and unwind for a few hours at the Caleden Spa Leisure Centre
- Visit the local park and gardens with its newly opened tree top adventure course.
- Treat yourself to a gourmet experience at Restaurant Serge Vieira, a two-star Michelin establishment, at the Château de Couffour.
- Eat out at Serge Vieira’s new bistronomic restaurant, Sodade, located in the centre of Chaudes-Aigues.
- Marvel at the wonders of the surrounding countryside and landscape, on the Aubrac plateau or in the Gorges of the River Truyère.
Information – Chaudes-Aigues Tourist Office – Phone. +33 4 71 23 52 75 – Email